My sixth week in site began like any other, coming to the Puesto in the morning, lunch, and returning in the afternoon. Nevertheless, I was to have my meeting with the community that thinks I am gifting them all latrines, explaining what my program is, my timeline, and what I'll be doing. I was excited and prepared a small presentation on my computer as I confirmed with the health facilitator that only 5 people were to come.
Usually we're all about posters and markers in Peace Corps, but I figured 5 people could huddle around my computer. I spoke with the Dr. after much confusion, not knowing that I was required to have someone else there with me and the facilitator, and luckily he agreed to accompany me. I reconfirmed again with the facilitator, who then told me 10 or more people were coming. I immediately began to write down my presentation on paper and began to rehearse my damage control. However, when we arrived for the meeting, only the facilitator was there. One of the many speed bumps of rainy season - when it rains, no one leaves their house. We rescheduled my meeting for next week, despite that it's coming dangerously close to election time and the rain is worst in September. Nevertheless, I can do nothing but remain optimistic and revert back to my good ol' posters and markers for my presentation. If anything, I have the same presentation ready for the next community to which I present myself.
Another exciting journey this week was to Nueva Alianza, an aldea of El Palmar, Quetzaltenango. Myself and about 30 others, including volunteers and their counterparts, attended an improved wood-burning stove workshop. We were presented with the steps to make them, what is required for the grant application, and we also helped construct the stoves. We were also shown portable stoves, called Dona Dora, made completely of metal and incredibly efficient in terms of combustion. Nevertheless, many of the volunteers pointed out that the stoves could easily be taken apart and sold as metal is highly valuable. Other volunteers and counterparts seemed very excited about the idea. It was incredibly interesting to see all aspects of using wood burning stoves; from the time a women spends in a kitchen each day (6 hours!), the cost of wood per month, to what they use to start the fire (ie plastic bags). The location was beautiful, warm, and humid. Something I didn't think I would miss, but after all this rain and cold, I was pretty excited. We were to leave Thursday afternoon, nevertheless, road blocks from peasant farmers led us to stay an extra two hours, followed by an even longer drive back due to the backed up traffic. With the election coming up on September 11th, unrest is spreading throughout the country, in some areas more than others. Luckily, my department is pretty tranquil. Other volunteers in other departments do not have the same luxury..
This month will be rather laid back, as I was warned by my educadora at the Centro that not much will get done in September. However, I do get to look forward - or not look forward to - my 25th birthday. It is not my first birthday without my family, but it is my first one out of country. And I'll be a quarter of a century!
Until next time, hopefully parasite free!
Sara
No comments:
Post a Comment