Saturday, November 5, 2011

For future volunteers...

With the new group of volunteers about to ship off to Guatemala in January, I felt I should make the cliche, advice giving post to the incoming PCTs of Guatemala.  I guess it could be looked at in general, but it's pretty country specific. 


First of all, relax.  Breathe.  Yes, you're about to depart for 27 months and it will be completely different than anything you've ever experienced.  However, you won't know exactly what will happen as everyone experiences things differently, everyone's experiences are different.  So, while it's good to read a few blogs about life in Guatemala, just know that's not what you'll experience.  My experience is completely different from a muni volunteer, a youth development volunteer, even a Healthy Homes volunteer.  I live in a small municipality, I have many good friends that work in villages.  It's all very different! They have Guatemalans interested as to why an American is in town, while my municipality has had volunteers for five years and I'm an hour away from Xela where many Americans go to learn Spanish.

When it comes to phones, Peace Corps will provide you one.  They're simple and get the job done.  You're even provided minutes every month and calling other PCVs or PC/G is free.  So, don't bring a phone here to use for 2 years. For Staging, sure.  Some PCVs buy a separate phone here, but that's a personal call. Internet is great here, if you don't bring a computer, you'll most likely have an internet cafe within an hour's reach.  There are exceptions, of course, but generally internet is accessable without having a computer.  If you bring a computer like I did, you can buy a modem and you purchase daily, weekly, or monthly plans to re-up your modem.  I didn't buy a modem during PST as two fellow PCTs in my training community had internet access at their family's home, and I was able to access the computers at the PC office. 

Spanish materials - don't really need them, you'll be provided a dictionary and you'll have intensive classes.  You'll also be provided a few notebooks, so don't bring a lot with you, 1 or 2 will be fine to start. As for reviewing Spanish before coming here, I recommend it.  If you test in at Advanced-Low or above, you're given more time to do independent work with your program.  For example, a training community of more advanced speakers were giving weekly charlas (chats) to a health post in Antigua, while I was taking Spanish classes 4-5 days a week. 

The debate about computers - to bring it, or not.  I brought mine as I'm Master's International and I have to make a secondary project my practicum, then write and submit the practicum report to my university to receive my Master's in Public Health.  Obviously, my situation was different. Many volunteers do find it beneficial to bring a computer for leisure, whether it being reading, music, movies.  I do recommend bringing an external hard drive, I bought a 500 GB hard drive for $40 and it has been my best PC purchase.  I have my PC documents, work out videos, movies, music, PDF books stored on there.  I know a few who did not bring one, and as I have said, access to a computer is generally not hard to come by.  If you do bring a computer, purchase the insurance! Theft is a big problem in Guatemala.

Healthy Homes volunteers are all placed in the Western Highlands. It's generally cold, however, some volunteers are placed in Quiche where it is warmer. I brought 2 fleece jackets with me and they work just fine. I had to buy more hoodies at the paca (store that sells used American clothing) during rainy season as my things would take a week to dry, though.  Bring nice clothing for PST (including closed toe shoes) and a nice outfit for swearing in, but a lot of volunteers have good luck finding clothing in the pacas.  For example, I found 4 shirts and a Forever 21 dress at the paca, all for Q65, less than $10.  If you're super tall, have big feet, or "gringo sized," meaning over a size L, it'll be different for you, I'm sorry to say.  All of you should have an idea from the pamphlet you received in your invitation.  All I can say is, dress in layers. 

Things I personally have found essential: hiking shoes, waterproof jacket, extra large travel towels, sleeping bag (30 F or 40 F works fine, down compacts much better), day pack, swiss army knife, ziplock bags (keep papers dry on walks to communities.), dry sacks, duct tape, external hard drive, digital camera, travel french press (personal choice, of course).

I also purchased Eagle Creek luggage with the discount.  PC regulation size, durable, and I can carry each piece of luggage on my back.  Rolling luggage is generally not recommended especially when you're out in the middle of nowhere with rugged roads full of cow manure. Even in town I step in cow manure, probably don't want to be rolling luggage through it.  To make things easier on yourself, imagine carrying that luggage all by yourself on a chickenbus, which is an old, American schoolbus.  Actually, that's what will happen after swear in.  Generally, with the giant bags, the ayudantes or the assistants that load up the chickenbus will throw your bag on top of the bus, in the very front, or the very back.  In all cases, you won't be able to see your luggage and it could very easily be stolen. Also, there were many PCTs that had luggage bigger than the PC regulation - they had to pay extra and it was also more for them to carry.  Keep that in mind. 

The invitation kit stresses this, but pictures! They love seeing family photos and photos of where you live, whether it be your host family or the people you work with.  I bring pictures of my nephews with me to the Puesto every time I receive new ones from my family and they all crowd around, passing each picture.  Family is so important here, never underestimate pictures.

There are things that can be purchased here, such as a small backpack at the market or even musical instruments.  I purchased a learner's model for around $50.  Ladies, bring makeup.  It's the exact same cost or higher than in the US, which is hard on a budget.  I also recommend bringing perfume with you vs. buying here.  Bring the necessary 3 months of prescriptions, PC will provide them after the first 3 months.  All other medications, such as ibuprofen, anti-histamines, sun block, etc. leave at home.  You'll get them in a medical kit.  Ladies, you can also get tampons from the medical office, but I have only seem them once at Wal-Mart in Xela.  They're hard to come by here.  As for everything else, I would follow the invitation kit's recommended packing list. 

Other suggestions I've heard before:
travel speakers for mp3 player, can be useful for presentations or just having a solo dance party in your room.
gifts for host family during PST - something small that represents your state or city or just the US in general, or maybe something more personal.  My host mom received a towel with a US map on it from a trainee and she worships it to this day. A fellow trainee's parents sent a leather bookmark as the father worked with leather in the US.  I waited and had my parents send a gift at the end of training, it was appreciated and above all, not expected from me. 
craft or hobby to learn - ie, how to crochet, how to play guitar, etc. Once in site you'll have a lot of time. 

Enjoy the time left with your family and friends, relax, and eat as much food as possible, especially the men; you all lose weight while all the women gain weight here. I did not recognize my sitemate the last time I saw him.  Unfair.  And I also must give a personal shout out to the 3 incoming trainees from Healthy Homes hailing from Tulane, yeah!

Also, don't forget the discounts.  They. Are. AMAZING. Volunteer Discounts

Sorry, acronyms again. 
PC: Peace Corps
PC/G: Peace Corps Guatemala
PCT: Peace Corps Trainee
PST: Pre-Service Training
PCV: Peace Corps Volunteer

Until next time,

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment