Saturday, January 21, 2012

Relocation

Well, it's been an interesting few days. Along with the news about the new transportation policy in Guatemala for PCVs, we received more news on Thursday that two groups of PCVs were to COS early; a month early for one group, four months earlier for the other. By the end of March, we will be down to 90 PCVs in Guatemala - there are currently over 200. We were also notified PC/G would be concentrating on the Central Western Highlands, and would be relocating those not in that geographic area. We are also able to take early COS, regardless of the amount of time we have spent in Guatemala. Additionally, no new volunteers will be placed in Guatemala until 2013. With the number of incidents lately, PC wants to decrease the numbers to also decrease incidents.

After a sleepless night, I was given more news on Friday morning - the department where I live, San Marcos, is not central Western Highlands, therefore, I am to be relocated. The life that I have established in San Antonio for the past six months will come to an end by March 24, and I will be sent to another site.

Due to conflict in my department over a water source and a citizen's murder, I had to evacuate my site quickly. This following week I was to have a promoter meeting and house visits with four houses that lack water sources, so they drink from the contaminated river and fall ill. I was also supposed to meet with the Area de Salud de San Marcos in order to be more involved with their activities. I am sad to have to let down my community, and I am sad to leave the place I have called home for 6 months. I also just handed in my plan for the year to the mayor; an ambitious, smart man that was ready and willing to coordinate with me and my counterpart.

My condolences to the other PCVs that are being relocated, especially to those 15-18 months in country.

Until after the conference,

Sara

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sara!
    I know you will make the decision that's right for you, but I am one of the volunteers COSing in February 2012 (in eco) and I just wanted to encourage you to relocate to a different volunteer's site. You're still so early in your service and I am sure there's a health volunteer out there who is currently really stressed out about how their work could continue in their absence, and would be sooo grateful to know that another volunteer would carry on their work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am planning on relocating. See you tomorrow!

      Delete