Saturday, August 11, 2012

Project approval

After almost 6 long months of trying to put together my grant proposal, I was informed last week that my proposal to build 19 improved wood burning stoves and 12 cement floors was approved! I find myself elated and lost at the same time. My whole time in my new site has revolved around these new projects. So, these past two weeks I'm twiddling my thumbs thinking, what was life like before this proposal? What to do now?

An unfortunate aspect of constructing projects is that the community then realizes that you are knowledgeable in grant writing and the process of soliciting support for funds. This ability is such a commodity in the developing world, where those who want to help out their own community just don't know where to start. Since I have come to site, I have had two other communities ask for projects. Given the amount of time it took to just get a "yes" from the mayor and get approval from USAID, I have made it very clear that I cannot accomplish any more construction projects on the scale they're asking within the next 11 months. I understand the need for latrines, improved wood burning stoves, cement floors, water tanks. The need is great, but constructing them in a rush is not sustainable.

The process we use to construct infrastructure projects includes forming health promoters, training them on preventive health topics, having them then educate the community, and then at the end coordinating with them and the community development council to see if there is interest in sanitary infrastructure projects. If so, they decide which infrastructure project is most appropriate and a grant proposal is drafted with the help of a volunteer. The main idea is to build local capacity for learning the grant proposal process as well as the capacity to build the infrastructure.Community involvement creates a more sustainable process. At least, we hope so.

The reality is, many times the community is used to NGOs and other institutions coming in and telling them what projects they will receive and handing them out with little or no cost. This creates a culture of hand outs, with the community not involved. The NGO flees, and when the free project, such as a wood burning stove, breaks the recipient has no clue how to fix it and is left with a smoke filled house a year later. Visiting these homes, I see dilapidated wood burning stoves pouring out smoke because the chimney has never been cleaned, the stove is cracked from the families cutting wood directly on the stove, or the quality is very poor. If they had been involved with the construction and shown proper maintenance, they would have a functional stove they could fix themselves rather than using as storage and cooking on an open fire on the floor.

Given that lengthy explanation, by the end of September I should have all my projects finished. My sitemate was medically separated due to an illness, so I hope to show her community how to find funding without relying on Peace Corps and USAID. Meanwhile, I will be starting my practicum on chronic malnutrition in two communities. Guatemala has an average rate of ~50% chronic malnutrition. In some communities, the rates reach 60-80% in children under 5. What I hope to achieve has a lengthy explanation, so let's just say I want to try a grassroots approach at preventing malnutrition. Hopefully it will be adaptable for the Ministry of Health and the local NGOs. 

Almost six months into my new site, I am still trying to find my rhythm. Especially after handing in my grant proposal, I have almost a month before construction begins and a lot of free time. I sat down my counterparts and the director last week to explain what I can do, what I can help them with, what I would like to do and received one invitation to give a charla on junk food to teachers and parents. It was cancelled the day before. Since the only thing I had planned all week was cancelled, I had to find work for myself. Some days here are so slow I feel like watching paint dry would make the time pass faster. This past week would fit into that description. My Type A, get-it-done personality makes me want to schedule something for every day of the week for the next 11 months. I know that will never happen. So, I remain content with spending two hours cooking a meal that takes me fifteen minutes to devour, all the while downloading last week's episode of True Blood. Essentially, I am content with time alone, a lot of free time, and extremely slow days. Patience is a virtue.

To a productive month before constructing 31 projects during the rainiest time of year in rural Guatemala, to the improved health of my sitemate that I miss terribly, and to my improving culinary skills. I need to start working out.


Oh, and thanks to over 2000 views!

Until next time,


Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment