Saturday, October 27, 2012

Project Inauguration

Today marks 18 months in country! What a better way to commemorate this date than by blog post? Actually, I realize I haven't updated in a while.

As of the first week of October, all 31 projects were finished. The community was anxious to get their projects finished, so I figured multiple house visits were in order to ensure no one was using their stove too early. If used too early, the stove will crack and smoke will billow out into the kitchen once again, defeating the purpose of the stove. As I visited the first round of houses, I was asked, "when can I start using my stove?" I responded that after the project inauguration on Oct. 23rd, they were free to use the stove. As I made my way around the community, only one person had used her stove. She gushed about how well it worked, how she only needed 3 pieces of wood, and how she finally didn't have a kitchen full of smoke. I was pleased to find that everyone else wanted to wait and make sure they didn't crack their stove. I'm eager to visit the houses after the stoves have been used for a while and see the difference they are making in this community. Well, not too eager. I was bit by a promoter's dog last week and I still don't have all the feeling back in my leg. Ouch!

To celebrate the termination of the projects, I put the leaders of the women's group in charge of putting together an inauguration. They were happy to take charge and I was incredibly impressed by the arrangements. All 30 women helped pitch in to provide meals, music, and decorations.


The stove for the local primary school, decorated with pine, streamers, and balloons for the inauguration.

The women's group of Membrillal with the COCODE president, Antonio

The municipal salon decorated for the inauguration

A local community leader saying a few words about the projects

Micaela, president of the women's group, giving thanks

My counterpart, Marcos, cutting the ribbon. 


My community members were excited, awaiting the arrival of the mayor. We arrived at 11:30 am, but by 1:30 pm we knew he was not going to show. Disappointed, the women continued on the celebration with their family members. By the time we were ready for speeches, the community leader that presented me was referring to me as the "woman from the other country" as he could not remember my name. He made jokes and referred to an empty chair as the mayor, giving thanks to this empty chair for the support the community received. Each member present from the health center was asked to give a few awkward words of thanks, my colleagues' words much more eloquent than mine. We finished the speeches, head down to cut the ribbon on the school's stove, and wished the community well.

As my work is slowly beginning to finish in Membrillal I, my  nutrition practicum is starting in another community, Cucabaj. Given that I had to leave my site in San Marcos early, I was disappointed I had to abandon the education of my two promoter groups. I gave my first charla this week to a group of over 30 women; all indigenous, K'iche' speaking women living in a rural community. I know the number of participants will drop, but I'm happy to be doing something that I planned and put together on my own. I am also really happy to do something that also does not revolve around projects. Now, I just need to keep up activities that keep the women engaged. Me talking for an hour straight is never fun. Next challenge, making breast milk fun!

Making tippy taps, or porta pilas, with the nutrition group of Cucabaj.


I have recently been working with a local NGO in my site that promotes health and development in rural, indigenous communities. I tagged along one day to help with a health analysis of two communities, in coordination with the health commissions of those communities. As the communities presented the problems and priorities, one community leader said, we simply lack everything. We can't prioritize as we lack so much. This community was once a farm, but now newly formed it lacks electricity and basic sanitary infrastructure. I was approached by the health commission president that day. Can you please help us? Will you come see the community and see how much we lack? I had promised myself I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of project coordination again, given my timeline. Now, I'm finding myself researching institutions to help with housing and water. Will I or won't I?

To 8 1/2 more months. To a busy work schedule, and to the hopeful disappearance of the two rats that are living in my rafters. I haven't slept well for a week and I'm beginning to fray. Pray for my sanity.


Until next time,

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment